Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3, dissecting the fail cake.

Default PS3, dissecting the fail cake.

Sony Computer Entertainment America's CEO Jack Tretton gave us some great looks behind the public curtain of the PlayStation brand. In short, they know what's wrong with the way they made the PS3, and they know how to fix it. In Jack's words, "we know what we're doing," but it's going to take a long time to atone for past missteps.

As everyone knows, Sony is a hardware company. But when making the PlayStation(s), they've become a software company as well. The problem came from the fact that they didn't know whether they're a software company or a hardware company or even both, which influenced the way the PS3 was developed. In this case, the hardware guys developed the console fairly independently then dumped it onto the software guy's lap, effectively saying "do something with it." In essence, as Tretton says, the PS3 was not developed in collaboration between the two teams. As a result of this, the software team has been cleaning up the mess made by the hardware team for years.

This is one of the biggest problems with Sony as a whole. Their UI designs are not as good as they could be because much of the company still sees themselves as a hardware force first and a software firm second.
    ---http://gizmodo.com/5025980/sony-knows-what-went-wrong-with-the-ps3

According to this post by Ozymandias (who happens to work for Microsoft,) the Xbox 360 reserves approximately 32MB of it’s RAM for the System, including the kernel, device drivers, Xbox Guide, friends lists, voice/text messages, achievement lists, gamercards, Live Marketplace, 1-1 chat, virtual keyboard, and the music player. That leaves about 480MB of RAM for game developers use any way they want.

In contrast, the PlayStation 3 is estimated to use about 96MB for System overhead, plus an additional 9MB for friends list functionality. So right out of the gate, PlayStation 3 developers end up with 73MB less available RAM than an Xbox 360 title with the same basic features enabled. Plus, it’s reported that in-game e-commerce capability wastes another 60MB of RAM. On top of all this, Sony’s memory architecture says that 50% of all RAM is for graphics, and the other 50% is for application use, further limiting developer freedom.

These memory architecture decisions, along with the reduction in available memory could be part of why cross-platform titles are looking better on the Xbox 360 than on the PS3, especially for games that started on the 360 and were ported to the PS3.
    ---- http://technabob.com/blog/2007/03/26...than-xbox-360/

Lolers...$ony just confirming what I been saying all along. Poor bastards,

One part we don't need a GPU. Two cups of Memory Mismanagement. One spoon can't cut costs cause of Blu-ray..
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

eediat ting dat. How can they release the thing with those limitations? The software ppl need to do betta cause those memory usages not right at alll. What on earth going on for the system to use that much? Wonder if its easy to reduce the memory with just firmware upgrades.

ps3 still owns the 360!
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Sony really drop the ball this time around star
    NZXT S340*Asus Prime B350 Plus*AMD Ryzen 5 1600*Cooler Master Masterliquid 240 AIO*8GB Patriot Viper 3000MHZ DDR4*SanDisk 120GB SSD*Corsair CX 650 80+Bronze PSU*Windows 10 Pro 64bit*Acer R Series 21.5" IPS 1080p 4ms Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    eediat ting dat. How can they release the thing with those limitations? The software ppl need to do betta cause those memory usages not right at alll. What on earth going on for the system to use that much? Wonder if its easy to reduce the memory with just firmware upgrades.

ps3 still owns the 360!
    u need alot of help
    If You Talk About That Of Whom In Which We Do Not Speak,Have We Not Spoken Of That Of Which We Do Not Talk??

Soon Drop:P

Core i7 920
    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI
    G.SKILL Trident 6GB DDR3 2000

ps3 still owns the 360!
    lol!!!!...is not a joke but mi have to laugh @ this yout...I have been saying this along time ago but not this clear...lol noobs you understand now lol
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

... so.....? It still doesn't say that games can't be as good and better than the 360. U have the best game(s) on the ps3. Its just sad that they made that mistake and as a result games are harder to make. Guess xb360 rrod problem wasn't this big a deal? A functional system vs a non-functional system...

MS has better software support in xbl and system overhead, but its software so maybe sony can get better. Don't get why they can't just load things as need (if they don't do that), i mean friends list taking 9MB? why?

saw this in one of the comments

“They plan to have a “Blade” like pane that can appear out of the right hand side of the screen for viewing and participating in activities that the OS enables. ”
    Can’t help noticing but your source was wrong.
    Not only that, but multiple devs have confirmed PS3s OS uses 64 MB in TOTAL
    And this

Uhh, ps3 has better ram than 360.
    360 has 512 ram for both cpu and gpu.
    Ps3 has 256 for cpu (4,5 times as fast as 260 ram) and 256 ram for gpu.
    The article is wrong so it can better get removed.
    Sorry for my bad English.
    And this

I have installed linux on my ps3 which sits on top of the game os. I am sure most of the game os “calls” are cache from the hard drive, then flushed out of memory. The game os on the xbox needs a different type of memory. As it does not need a hdd. I think this story has been made up.
    AND THAT

Phillip is right the XDR memory is running at 3.2Ghz as opposed to Xbox360 RAM running 700Mhz.
    Although the PS3 GDDR3 memory runs at this speed too the system memory is much faster.
    I would be dubious as to whether the code was any good for the x360 OS as in the past Microsoft have tried to take shortcuts with the Palm PCs and cutting down windows which makes it an extremely inefficient piece of tech.
    so......
    All rights reserved.

I want to know which mad man can think of making a console without a gpu lol
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

intel can... well atleast using what is a cpu or a bunch of cpus to make a gpu. U would consider that a GPU now wouldn't u, so basically if the console didn't have the traditional gpu but still processed and displayed graphics u could say it has a gpu of sorts. But thats not what the post really about, is it?
    All rights reserved.

intel can... well atleast using what is a cpu or a bunch of cpus to make a gpu. U would consider that a GPU now wouldn't u, so basically if the console didn't have the traditional gpu but still processed and displayed graphics u could say it has a gpu of sorts. But thats not what the post really about, is it?
    if they didnt contact nvidia in the last..no games would be out for ps3 @ this time lol
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

they shoulda gone with amd but suh it go.
    All rights reserved.